City of Valdez Photo
The City of Valdez New Harbor Development Project is a multi-year, phased project to build a new harbor basin and upland facilities on the south side of the old Hotel Hill site. The new harbor will include docks/moorage capacity, vehicle parking lot, additional vessel launch ramps, and support services. New access roads and pedestrian walkways will be included to provide increased waterfront accessibility.
• Increased moorage capacity
• Additional launch ramps
• Greater waterfront access for boaters and the non-boating public
• Additional local economic activity
• Opportunity for service industry development and support for the fishing industry
Phase 2 Uplands Facilities and Inner Harbor Facilities - Phase 2 contractor, Pacific Pile & Marine (PPM) and subcontractors, continued providing submittals and shop drawings for the R&M design team to review. No uplands facilities site work was performed since December 2017.
The barge with PPM’s dredging equipment arrived at the new boat basin on March 26th. The heavy equipment, driven off the barge via ramps to the NW corner of the uplands, consisted of two EX1200 and one EX870 excavators with large rock breaking and dredging attachments, two rubber-tired loaders, one small crawler dozer, one 48-foot tug, and one small survey boat. A crawler crane on the barge assisted with setting anchors in the boat basin and placing the ramps for offloading equipment, and subsequently setting the Flexi-float barge modules into the water for assembly and placement of anchoring spuds. The EX1200 with a long boom and clamshell bucket was driven over ramps onto the Flexi-Float barge.
The tug traveled to Seward and returned with the bottom dump barge “Mud Dog” that will be used for disposing dredged material at the offshore site designated by the Corps of Engineers. On March 30th, the tug departed Valdez to Seattle towing the equipment barge and crawler crane. The Contractor installed a “cattleguard” feature in the West Access to South Harbor Drive. On March 31st, the contractor started hauling shot rock from the Sea Otter parcel to begin the construction of temporary access to the West bedrock area.
Phase 2 is a single contract package consisting of Uplands Facilities (warehouse building, east restroom, bilge treatment facility, paving and landscaping) and Inner Harbor components (removal of in-water rock, piling, floats, pedestrian ramps, drive-down bridge and float). R&M continued reviewing material and shop drawing submittals, responding to Requests for Information (RFIs) and clarifications of construction documents, and performed an inspection of floats being fabricated and staged in the Seattle area for subsequent delivery by barge to Valdez.
USACE NAVIGATION IMPROVEMENTS
The USACE is administering the Western Marine Construction (WMC) contract for dredging the navigation channel and float basin and construction of the breakwaters. The USACE notified the City that the dredging and breakwater work has been accepted, the dredge and rock quantities have been reconciled, and the USACE is working toward fiscal closeout of their contract with WMC. It appears to the City, R&M and Arcadis that the hydrographic survey data indicates there might be some high spots along the toe of the breakwaters at the entrance and maneuvering channel inside the entrance. Arcadis is coordinating with the USACE for a meeting to resolve this and several related items. The USACE has provided updated financial information and Arcadis continues to coordinate closeout of the USACE contract with the City.
• Continued fabrication of mooring float and drive-down float components at Seattle area shops
• Inspected mooring and drive-down float sections fabricated at Seattle area shops
• Received PPM’s construction updates of the project baseline schedule
• Mobilized and towed dredging equipment from Seattle to Valdez harbor site
• Started constructing temporary access to the West bedrock area
• Perform pre-dredge marine and uplands survey for R&M to review and approve
• Calibrate and test the large impact hammer and Xcentric® ripper
• Start rock breaking and dredging at the West basin area
• Install Sediment Containment Berm between Duck Flats and drive-down float basin
• Erect Warehouse Building structural steel and install roofing
• Resume Bilge Treatment Building mechanical, electrical and finish work
• Resolve questions with USACE about potential high spots inside the basin entrance
• Closeout City’s contract with USACE for the dredging and breakwater work
• Evaluate response to Fuel Facility Request for Proposals
If you have any questions, please contact: