Pool Rules & Policies
Parks & Recreation
Lessons are offered on an as needed basis a few times a year. Typically in the winter, class sessions will meet twice a week for six weeks and in the summer, class sessions will meet three times a week for four weeks.
CURRENT SWIM LESSONS:
Registration for this session is closed
*To register for lessons, please contact the Parks & Recreation Office at 835-2531.
Class sizes are limited. Registration is first-come first-reserved.
Types of Lessons
Babies R Swimmin’
- 18 months to 35 months
- Parents help introduce children to the water using fun games and activities. Parents and children will learn basic water safety, body positions, and holding techniques to promote water comfort. One adult per child is required in the water. Swim diapers must be used if child is not toilet trained.
- 3 and 4 years old
- Beginner level for children who are new to the water or have never taken a group swim lesson. Children will learn basic skills in water safety, water adjustment, and body positions to promote water comfort. One adult per child is required in the water for the first three classes.
Tadpoles - 3 and 4 years old
- A continuation of Minnows level. Children will learn basic skills in swim strokes, a continuation of water adjustment, and body positions.
Level 1 - 5 years and older
- Beginner level for children who are new to the water or have never taken a group swim lesson. Children will learn basic skills in water safety, water adjustment, and body positions to promote water comfort and basic swim strokes.
Levels 2 - 4 and 5 years and older
- A continuation of skill progression in water adjustment, body positions, and strokes. Floating, gliding, rhythmic breathing, diving, free style, back stroke, elementary back stroke, breast stroke, and side stroke are introduced and taught to 25 yard proficiency.
Lifeguard Certification Course – 15 years and older -
Skills learned in the
Lifeguard Certification Course
will include in-water rescues and extrications, in-water spinal immobilizations, first aid, CPR rescuer, AED and supplemental oxygen. Must be able to swim 200 yards without stopping, retrieve a 10 pound brick from 12 feet deep, tread water without arms for one minute and pass all written and practical exams. Successful certification does not guarantee employment with the City of Valdez Parks and Recreation.
Swim Instructor Certification Course – 15 years and older
- Lessons in the
Swim Instructor Certification Course
include swimming skills teaching techniques, class management, class safety concerns, child development and behavior as it relates to swimming. Successful certification does not guarantee employment with the City of Valdez Parks and Recreation.
Powered by CivicPlus